Wednesday, February 06, 2008

the superbowl...

I really enjoyed watching the superbowl with my friends this year. I have to say when you first talk to me, you probably don't think of me as a sports fan...and in reality that is VERY true. But I have several friends who LOVE football/basketball and one that really loves nascar...anything you want to know about nascar...I know the person who knows it all. Anyway...over the last few years, when they are talking about football, I have found that if I listen I can learn some things. For instance, last month we were in Sunday school class, and I stated the fact that the coach for the Colts wrote a book. The friends in my circle all stared at me with wide eyes, stating, "DeeJay just spoke football." So they wanted to see if I had learned anything else throughout the conversation. Mary asked, "Who is the quarterback for the Colts?" I said, "Peyton Manning?" I believe they all about fell out of their chairs...and they could have passed out too. LOL!!!

During the superbowl, I knew I was cheering for the New York Giants. How did I know this? By listening to my friends. First of all, Peyton Manning's brother is the quarterback for the Giants (Eli). Secondly the coach for the New England Patriots (yes I knew which teams were playing in the superbowl) didn't have a lot of success while coaching the Cleveland Browns (a team that is Ben's favorite). After leaving the Browns this coach...(I really don't like saying his name actually)...began to do well in his career.

While watching the game this year, I was actually on edge. My nerves were shot by the end of the game. I was watching the last few minutes of the game between my fingers.

But seriously...when we have friends with different interests...sometimes if we allow ourselves to step out of our comfort zone and learn something new it can deepen the friendship. So I'm not the normal sports fan, but when watching with my friends...I have a good time. I can learn something new while spending time with some really good friends.

A few years ago one of my friends Kat (yes she's a girl), worked with the band where she teaches. She asked me to go to the games with her each week. Even though I was in the band for 5 years of my middle/high school years, I still had no clue how the game of football worked. One evening we went to a playoff game and we didn't have any responsibilities that night. She sat there watching the game and I asked her a question...it was a basic football question...something that most people can pick up, but I honestly was never taught the game...and never picked it up. I had two older brothers who played, but I was so young then I only went to the games to be seen not because I was a fan. When I was in high school I was in the band and when we were cheering, I followed what the others were saying. Several games I attended with my friend Kat I had brought a book with me to read while she was doing her responsibilities. I always adapted and was able to entertain myself even though I didn't know what was going on...but that night Kat and I were watching and she answered the question...she explained while the game was going on. I picked up a few things...and as I have watched the games since then, I realize it's not as hard as I was making it.

Do I like sports now? Honestly it wouldn't phase me if someone told me I didn't have to watch another game in my life. Am I going to watch anymore games...probably. Because I know I can do it, I now understand the game a little better and my friends really like it.

No comments: