Thursday, April 03, 2008

Almost finished...

This week has been spent working on my audition packet. I will be picking up the last thing to put in it (my photo). Ginger got the biography to me yesterday and I typed it and added a little to it. I thought I'd share with you the finish product from the biography.


Genesis tells us that in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. My baby book says he finished my creation on May 27, 1970. I, Deborah Denise Jayne (known as DeeJay to all my friends), entered the world as the youngest of seven children born to Charles and Garnet Jayne. My mom has told me stories of how music was a big part of my life from an early age.

As young girls, my sister Mary and I used our hairspray bottles as microphones to sing along with Bill Gaither and the Sunday School Picnic. I still remember twirling around in the foyer of our home pretending to be singing in front of hundreds of people. I also listened to a song by Evie Karlson entitled “Four Feet Eleven and I’m going to Heaven.” Being vertically challenged myself, I was particularly drawn to that one.

I began to realize how much I loved music. I’ve often dreamed of being a background singer for Michael W. Smith. Since he grew up in the same Tri-State area I did, I felt as though maybe someday I could pursue a career as a background vocalist. I have never really wanted to be in front singing as the main performer, but God has had other plans.

When I was a senior in high school, I sang my first solo at Freedom Baptist Church. I still remember singing “’Tis So Sweet To Trust in Jesus” thinking … “wow, I’m really trusting in Him as I’m singing this.” I was so nervous, but I made it through the song. The more opportunities to sing…the more I see God using my talents He gave me to bring glory and honor to Him.

In the late 90’s, my sister-in-law Tonda recommended the song “Life is Hard” for me to sing. She thought the song would be a good range for my vocals. I got it on a Friday night and I sang it two days later. Soon this song became “my signature song.” Many people would request me to sing this for different occasions. My mom even asked me to sing it at my grandmother’s funeral, with the condition that I would continue to sing it afterward as this is my dad’s favorite song for me to sing.

A few years ago, however, I did go through a difficult time in my life. It was during that time that I was able to experience that song on a deeper level. Being in the place where I realized life was hard, but no matter how hard it was, that God is good. I still struggle sometimes when I sing this song because it has become not only a signature song for me to sing, but also a part of my life in a more personal way. As always, God helped me through that time and showed me that no matter how hard life is, I must keep praising Him through music because He IS worthy of my praise.

Musical opportunities continue to present themselves to me through my local church. I currently serve as the song leader for congregation worship time and choir director. I also am able to sing solos for special music and sing with a group of girls from my church.

It’s been 25 years since I gave my heart to God. He has taught me many lessons. I know it doesn’t matter if sometimes I’m clumsy…spill things…or my hair gets messed up…Everyday is a new beginning, a new opportunity to celebrate through song the life God has given me. God is always with me and I am truly blessed.


I will be mailing the packet out this Saturday. The deadline has been extended, but I still want to get it sent out this weekend. Once it's submitted, I think I'll be able to relax, because I will have done everything I can to take that step out of my comfort zone.

Thanks for those prayers regarding this...I know if it wasn't for them I would have chickened out again.

I'll keep posted on this subject as I know things.

2 comments:

GospelMusicFan said...

A link to your blog spot been posted on our homepage of our website:

Our link is:
http://www.gospelmusicfan.com/
"your southern gospel music news & information source"

May God Bless you,

marnmic said...

I think this looks really good. Now, we'll all just have to wait and see what God has in store. :-)