Thursday, May 22, 2008

Crazy Day!!!

It's interesting how quickly good news can take a bad seat to bad news. Last night I was so excited that David Cook won. Life was good for the moment. Oh it is still good, just a bit crazy.

This morning, my dad came into my room to tell me that he thought mom should go to the hospital. She was complaining of pain and had been up most of the night. When it finally hit me what he said, I got out of bed and went to check on her. She was in the bathroom just sitting (sorta doubled over). I asked her if she wanted me to take her to the hospital and she said, "I don't know what to do." I told her I would go ahead and get ready. So by the time I got ready (that meant...put on a pair of jeans, a shirt and grab my purse (no combing of the hair...I don't think I even looked in the mirror...I'm sorta afraid to see what I look like...LOL!) she had decided to go to the hospital.

We got there and I got her out of the car, and told them I would park my car. When I walked back to the ER, they were telling her to come back. We got into a room and the nurse introduced himself. (Great nurse...by the way...really helped my mom to be comfortable). The doctor came in just a few minutes later, and asked about her pain. He touched a few spots to check for sensitivity, and said he thought it may be a stone, but wanted to get a cat scan and blood work to make sure.

It didn't seem too long and they came back to tell us it was a stone 5.5mm and they would be admitting her. Since I knew they were going to keep her. I decided to call my brother Tim to see if he could help me out. I had to go back to check on dad to be sure he got his eye drops and eat with his medication. By the time I got home, he was wanting to check on his latest medication for the Bells Palsy. It's been 10 days since he was diagnosed and the medication had run out. So we called the VA Hospital and was put on hold. Dad made a comment about waiting so long, so I asked him if he wanted me to take him to the hospital to actually see the doctor. He agreed, and off we went.

By 11 this morning I had taken both of my parents to the two different hospitals. Not a normal day for us at the Jayne house, but it was hopping. Anyway...we got the VA and saw the doctor. She was great. I mentioned in an email to family and friends that not only should we be thanking our veterans, but also those medical personnel who care for them. I love that two of them said they remembered my dad, so that makes it a little more personal. The doctor was looking at the charts and double checking the medications that he already takes. She called to have another doctor consult with her about trying steriods (to help with the Bells Palsy). Since my dad suffers from Myasthenia Gravis (MG) he has to be careful with the medications he takes as to not aggrevate the affects of MG. She asked if I was able to watch for the symptoms too, and I told her yes, so she told me if they were mild to just reduce quicker, but if the symptoms got too worse, to totally quit with it. She thinks the steriod will help quicker than just the other medication he was on alone. He also got a refill on the previous medication to help with the Bells Palsy. The doctor also perscribed an antibotic for some fluid she saw in his ear. She thinks this one will help him get better quicker than what we have seen.

We left the appointment and headed for the pharmacy, where more waiting would occur. We got the medication and headed for Stewarts Hot Dogs...yummy, and then over to the other hospital where my momma was.

While I was with my dad, Tim was keeping me informed on mom's condition. She had been taken by the doctor to get the stone out. She doesn't know how they got it, but they sent it off for analysis. Tim told us she would be released today.

Tim was great with keeping the other brothers and sisters updated and I would pass along what I knew to my sister Leah as she was at work. My family is great in a crisis...they were on top of things with lifting us in prayer...as well as my wonderful support system of friends.

It's been a long day and we are now awaiting for mom's release and my brother David and his family's visit.

This morning, my mom was worried because she hadn't been able to get the bed for them ready. I had told her on the way to the hospital I had already made up my mind to stay home and I would do all that for her. She didn't have to worry about it. So when dad and I got home, I got the dishes cleaned, and the room ready for my brother and family.

In the news of this craziness, I also heard on Klove about loss in Steven Curtis Chapman's family. My prayers go up for them during this time of tradegy. Please keep them in your prayers.

No comments: