Thursday, July 17, 2008

5 down...and now all that remains is the VBS program and cleanup...

Hey there...well, I've just finished my fifth day of VBS. It's been a really great week. Before I get the main part of the blog, I'd like to say something about the church where I'm a member. I first want to thank God for being able to serve in a church that has a vision for the future...reaching kids, and really putting forth the effort for a week. Our pastor is great when it comes to kids, and I think having two younger kids...as well as two adult kids is what helps keep that vision alive.

I sat to talk with the group of 5th and 6th grades class. We sat and prayed for the program and I told them I really wanted them to know why they were singing in the program. It wasn't because we wanted them to be heard, but it was because we wanted to Praise the Lord. Before tonight there were 5 kids who had accepted Jesus as their Savior...and those 5 came from that age group. The difference in these kids lives has been noticeable. They are participating not only in singing, but also memorization of verses. And tonight when I was talking to them, I wanted them to know those who had gotten saved this week, that we as a church would be praying for them. It's not going to be an easy road at school this year. I'm sure that Satan will be there to test their faith...but we will stand behind them praying for them. Praying for the opportunity for them to talk about what has happened to them. I'd love for them to be able to continue to come to church. I'm not sure if they already have a church home, and if they do we will still continue to pray for them...but if they don't have one already, I pray they will be able to come and continue to grow in that faith.

If you have been reading these last several blogs you have gotten memory verses in them. A few of them have to do with "Praising the Lord." Tonight's verse has that same them. It comes from Psalm 107:31 "Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men." As I explained to the kids what this verse means, I divided it into three sections...the first section was that we (as people) would praise the LORD. Then there are two reasons listed in this verse as to why we need to praise the LORD. The first for his goodness. I asked several of the kids to share how God is good to us. Then I explained the second reason, "for his wonderful works to the children of men." Again I asked for them to give descriptions of what wonderful works God has done for the children of men. They came up with several ways...and it's good they are seeing that God is good and that he does wonderful works in their lives (daily).

Tonight's totals were 70 kids, and I'm not sure the number of workers, but Cheryl gave me a rough estimate of 36...so with that number it would be around 106. We had two saved tonight. One was in the 5th and 6th grade class, and the other was in the 3rd and 4th grade class. It's been a very blessed week.

It's definitely been a GREAT week. My friends were all standing around tonight talking about what a success this week has been. We have been amazed to see the work God is doing in 7 new brothers and sisters of the faith.

I really am excited that I was able to be apart of this week. At the beginning of the year, I wasn't for sure I would be able to be here this week. This was the week I was hoping to compete in a music competition, but GOD has shown me that I'm right where I need to be. I'm serving Him in my local church and able to impact the lives of kids in my area. That's a great feeling.

I will try to write about tomorrow hopefully by Saturday. Tomorrow night after the VBS program and the carnival, the gang is heading to see "Batman Returns". I probably will be late coming in, but I'll blog as soon as I can to share with you all...

Until next time...

1 comment:

marnmic said...

Great post. Good to hear about those being saved. PTL
Like the new blog look. It looks very streamlined and fresh.
Also, Michael went to see Dark Knight last night. He said he doesn't htink anyone under the age of 15 should see it. Mickey and I will definately preview it before Maddie is given an answer about whether she can see it. Definately...Marc will be waiting awhile. :-)