Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Bring It On...the original "Bring the Rain"

So...I have been listening to some old Steven Curtis Chapman songs. I have pulled out the "Declaration" CD mainly to listen to "God is God" for the VBS program...but on this CD there's a song called "Bring It On." I remember when I first got the CD, I always liked listening to it. Interesting how an older song can hit you in a new and different way after awhile. Well..."Bring It On" hit me differently last week. I was driving home from work and the chorus just hit me out of the blue.

Bring it on
Let the lightning flash, let the thunder roll, let the storm winds blow
Bring it on
Let the trouble come, let the hard rain fall, let it make me strong
Bring it on

As I listened to the chorus, I thought of another song that has been one to bring me to a place of praising God when struggles and storms are in my life "Bring the Rain" and I went back to the verses and listened closely. It's like I was hearing the message of "Bring the Rain" in a whole new way.

I didn’t come lookin’ for trouble
And I don’t want to fight needlessly
But I’m not gonna hide in a bubble
If trouble comes for me
I can feel my heart beating faster
I can tell something’s coming down
But if it’s gonna make me grow stronger then…

Bring it on
Let the lightning flash, let the thunder roll, let the storm winds blow
Bring it on
Let the trouble come, let the hard rain fall, let it make me strong
Bring it on

As I sat there thinking about the craziness of life and how storms come no matter what, I began to think of a quote I heard once. "Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?" This thought came to me...I've been praying that my faith and relationship with God would be stronger and I would be able to impact the lives of others. The second verse of the song continues with this thought of letting those opportunities that others may seem to be rough, hard, or evil God works for good.

Now, maybe you’re thinkin’ I’m crazy
And maybe I need to explain some things
‘Cause I know I’ve got an enemy waiting
Who wants to bring me pain
But what he never seems to remember
What he means for evil God works for good
So I will not retreat or surrender
So bring it on...

The bridge is my prayer...people may think that I'm trying to be a hero, but I just want these storms to bring me closer to God and His service.

Now, I don’t want to sound like some hero
‘Cause it’s God alone that my hope is in
But I’m not gonna run from the very things
That would drive me closer to Him
So bring it on

Bring it on
Let the lightning flash, let the thunder roll, let the storm winds blow
Bring it on
Let the trouble come, let it make me fall on the One who’s strong
Bring it on
Let the lightning flash, let the thunder roll, let the storm winds blow
Bring it on
Let me be made weak so I’ll know the strength of the One who’s strong
Bring it on
Bring it on

My favorite line from "Bring the Rain" by Mercy Me comes from the bridge of the song...
I am yours regardless of the clouds that may loom above
because you are much greater than my pain
you who made a way for me suffering your destiny
so tell me whats a little rain

What God has done for me...dying in my place so my sins can be forgiven...I just ask "what's a little rain that I must face during this lifetime?" I remember saying during one of the trials I faced this past year, "I may not understand what God is doing, but God doesn't ask me to understand it, He simply asks me to trust Him..."

May God bring continue to bring me closer to Him...no matter what it takes..."Bring It On..."

1 comment:

marnmic said...

Have you ever read Angie's blog...there is a link to it on my blog. It is the wife of the bald guy from Selah. Check it out!
you'll be changed!