Thursday, July 10, 2008

I just had a thought...

Genesis 1:31 "And God saw every thing that he had made, and behold, it was very good."

This is one of our VBS memory verses for this coming week. It's one of the verses I use when I see a really good looking guy. Because my friend Ben says I'm lusting, but I'm saying I'm "appreciating God's creation." I'm sure it's a little of both. LOL!!

Anyway...I was thinking about this verse and the fact that image is a big thing with girls (maybe some guys...but mostly girls). How we will look at other girls and compare ourselves...maybe we say someone is skinnier than another girl. Or sometimes we just look at our own body and want to make so many changes. I'm not saying that I'm perfect because I know there are some things I need to change for health reasons, but sometimes Christians get caught up in this image thing. Instead of listening to what the world says we should look like...we need to focus on what God thinks. God created each of us in our mother's womb. I love this picture...Psalm 139 (my favorite Psalm) says in The Message, "Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out; you formed me in my mother's womb. I thank you, High God -- you're breathtaking! Body and soul, I am marvelously made! I worship in adoration -- what a creation! You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body; You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something. Like an open book you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, The days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day."

That is exciting to me. I think about when I was a little girl and I would create something in art class. It may not have been the "greatest" to other people, but in my eyes it was amazing. That's how God sees us...as amazing creations. He knows us inside and out. I love that thought...when I'm down and I don't understand why I'm feeling the way I am feeling...there's a comfort knowing that God understands...He's there waiting to hold me in His arms and comfort me....all I have to do is just allow Him to do that. To take a break and crawl in his arms and just rest there. Let Him take all the frustrations of the world and all the stuff I carry that I really don't need to carry and just rest in Him.

So the next time you may be feeling down about yourself...remember these words..."And God saw every thing that he had made (this includes you), and behold, it was very good."

Until next time...

No comments: