Thursday, August 21, 2008

Memory Lane with friends...

Okay...First up, if your name is not on the list with a memory it is not because I don't consider you a friend. I have chosen the friends in this blog for two reasons...the first is these are the friends who I see on a regular basis when I speak about "the gang"...these are the people I'm referring to and two friends that are impacting my life. The gang has grown a lot this last year, and some of these memories are really recent, but I have enjoyed every bit of it. I will be sharing these memories in alphabet order...as I don't want to hurt anyones feelings for not being first on the list. Here we go...

Ben (our leader). Ben is the Sunday school class teacher for the young adults. I have known Ben since he was 2 years old. I have some odd memories of him...babysitting is one of them, and hitting the side of the bridge is another one. But I think my favorite memory of him was when he and Kat (his wife) joined Gateway Baptist Church. I had been out of town the week prior to them joining and the day I was back, they came forward. I had been praying about them joining for a couple of months and they actually waited an extra week so I could see it.

Carrie (college roommate). Carrie and I have had our ups and downs in our friendship. She and I were college roommates for one year. We lost touch after she ended her education, but met up again at a Geoff Moore Concert in Russell, KY. I think that is a very special memory of mine with her...that concert as well as many others we used to spend our weekends attending. More recently Carrie and I have become accountability partners. We have been meeting on Tuesdays with another friend (who will will appear later in the blog) for a Bible Study. It has been a really good time together. We are able to pray for each other, and study God's word.

Dave (my best friend). Dave, or D33 has been a friend since my first year at Southland Bible Institute. Like Carrie's friendship, D33 and I have lost touch after I left school, but we always seemed to be able to pick up where our friendship was left off. When I think of special memories with D33 I really think of the funniest one. He met my family at the park in Ashland. I was taking my two younger nephews on different play areas to let them run some energy off and he came along with me. This other little kid came up to our merry-go-round and wanted to get on too. It had rained earlier and there was a few mud puddles, so D33 decided to push him on the merry-go-round alone. I had my two nephews with me and as I walked away, I heard something. I turned around and D33 is picking up this kid (who had just fallen off the merry-go-round in the mud puddle). The sight was hilarious. He put him to the side and said, "go over there and roll in the grass to get the mud off you." I still laugh when I think about that scene happening. So funny.

Ginger (my Gigi)...Gigi is an amazing girl. I can't believe I have only began getting to know her a little over a year. She and I met last year during Women of Faith, but we didn't really start hanging out until later last year. Gigi and I have a lot in common. We are both in our 30's...she's a few years behind me. We both are waiting on God's best in a mate. She took care of her parents when their health began to worsen. We both love to talk and encourage people. I think my favorite memory with her are the times she and I have been able to just sit and talk and not worry about other things happening. During our Women of Faith trip last year, we talked quite a bit. Gigi is very wise and watches circumstances and possibly has the gift of discernment. I love the times she just lets loose and enjoys the moment she is living in. I also enjoyed going to "Why Did I Get Married?" by Tyler Perry. It's fun to go watch a chick flick with a friend and she's a fun person to watch them with...especially since she doesn't mind my appreciate God's creation. Her niece Taylor has been fun to get to know too. She's such a sweet girl...and very smart.

Kat (the event planner). Kat is our event coordinator. She is the host of the parties usually, since they are always at her house. LOL!!! She and I spend a lot of time getting the house ready for company and enjoying the talks about crazy stuff or just weird stuff. I think one of my favorite memories with Kat is a tradition we started our first year celebrating our "Thanksgiving with Friends" dinner. I would go over to her house early and bring cappuccino and we would sit on the couch for a few mintues to wake up. I would begin washing the turkey while she would get the pan ready to bake him. She picks the name of the turkey and then we get him in the oven to bake. While he's baking we get the house ready for the dinner later that evening. It's such a fun time and we are usually jamming to tunes and getting into the spirit of things.

Kim (my "blonde" friend). Kim has several blonde moments. She is so funny and it's been really good getting with her for Bible Study on Tuesday nights. Kim has no cooking skills and her husband has been very helpful getting the pizzas ready for our dinner. My favorite memory of Kim has been the times we would go to concerts. She's such a kid and gets really excited about seeing the "famous" people. It's hilarious. Kim and I have had the privledge of working at two different companies together. Seeing her grow in her walk with Christ has been special to me too.

Mary (my drama queen, but not in a bad way). She can make me laugh when she gets into character. She's very talented. Mary has also been a girl who confronts me with the truth when I need it. She and I are going back to school and it's really nice to be able to have someone helping me along and encouraging me to keep up. The one thing I'm thankful for about Mary is the fact we have been able to remain friends through all the "Steve" drama. I'm sure it was touch and go sometimes, but I know our friendship has been tested and it's become strong. Let's see my favorite memory would be when we went to Pullman Square together after I had gotten some hard news. She didn't want me to be alone, but she also knew I didn't need a full on girls night. We had a quiet, but not uneventful evening.

Mechele (my new friend). I'm still learning a lot about Mechele. She is my best friend's future wife. Mechele has been a very fascinating addition to the gang. I have really seen Mechele grow a lot in the last few months and am thankful she's seeking the Lord with her life and her marriage. I think my favorite memory was when we were talking about underwear during Ben's birthday dinner party. We were waiting for a table and her shirt matched my underwear. She is the type of friend who can appreciate that type of information. LOL!!! She is also someone who can read minds at times. LOL!!!

Sammi (my OTH friend). Sammi has been working crazy hours and preparing for a very special day this coming Sunday. I think my favorite memory of her was when she first began to hang out with Other Ben (her future husband). She was waiting at church for everyone to leave so she could share something special with me. Other Ben had given her a CD mix. When she told me that, I started singing "Cause, you gave me the best mix tape I had..." a song from the OTH soundtrack. She had thought the same thing and we were able to share in that moment something that no one else in the gang would be able to understand. I still sing that song to her...and she still gets that giddy expression she got the day she told me...Love is bliss...

Sara (my mini-me). I love Sara. She's so funny. Quiet, shy at first glance, but once you get to know her one on one...she is no longer that shy and quiet girl. Sara and I have several special memories. Some I'm not at liberty to share in this blog...but one I really love to share is her alien invasion during our trip to Mexico. It was very interesting for her to walk into the room and blurt out a statement that was so TMI, it was was hilarious to hear come out of her mouth. Sara's gift is a gift of choosing songs, or being able to say a convicting quote. It has been a lot of fun getting to know her...and I'm really thankful she is someone I can call my true friend.

Supermac (my wii bowling boy). Ryan McClintock or Supermac as I like to call him is a very funny guy. Last year, when we had the wii bowling tournament, we both had played and won with other people, but had never really played against each other. I challenged him, but was afraid after I did. Thinking I may have been trash talking too much and I'd lose big time, I had to rethink my strategy...so I poured the fliration on...I began to tell him, if he would I would give him a special reward. (I was really afraid that I possibly may have to do something), but thankfully he lost and I won...so no reward had to be given to him. Two words that remind me of Supermac "Holy Crap!!"

These people are really special to me and I'm thankful God has allowed for us to spend time together. I believe each person on this list God has placed in my life for a purpose and I'm thankful they have been opened to be used by God to encourage, challenge, strengthen, and enjoy life with me.

Until next time...

1 comment:

marnmic said...

You haven't blogged in awhile. IS school keeping you busy? :-)