Saturday, September 20, 2008

I'm Praying For You

In the past few posts, I have decided to make a way for my titles to be unique. My sister has a really cute way "the one about..." But I didn't want to be exactly like her, but yet I wanted a unique way to title each post. So I took an idea from my favorite show One Tree Hill. Each episode title of the show is after a song. Of course...most of them I have never heard. But it was interesting because the creator of the show is a music buff. Reminds me a lot of myself, because he thinks of music as the soundtrack to our lives.

Here's how I think I'll work this...I'll write the post and at the end of the post, I'll make reference for finding the song. On with this post...

Right out of my days at Southland Bible Institute, I was experiencing the gift of reading for pleasure. Since during school, I wasn't able to read for pleasure due to all of the reading that needed to be done for class, I had forgotten how much I really did like reading. My English teacher at the school became good friends with my mom. Once while visiting the college again, I spoke with her and she was talking about a book she was reading. I mentioned to her I found an excellent author I enjoyed. She checked her out and then gave me a book to read by Robert Whitlow entitled "The List." I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it, because I have struggles with period pieces of literature. Not sure why, but I do. Anyway, I gave it a chance, and boy was I glad. "The List" was a great book and really opened me up to this author and I read another one, although I can't remember which one it was...it was either "The Sacrifice" or "The Trial".

Anyhoo...This past year, Robert Whitlow was involved in a project to get the story from "The List" to theaters. Currently it is on DVD, and last night I rented it. I loved the movie. Even though I really enjoyed the book more. I am going to read the book again...possibly over Christmas break.

The theme throughout the book is the power of prayer. One of the memorable lines from the movie is about how good and evil people underestimate the power of prayer. I definitely recommend the book and the movie. Let me know what you think, if you see it too.

*"I'm Praying For You" - recorded by Anointed from the CD "If We Pray" released June 2002.

1 comment:

marnmic said...

I've read all of the Whitlow works except Mountain Top. I have loved all of them that I've read. I want to listen to The TRial again. It's probably my favorite. I love them all though.