Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Giggle...

I've been really thinking back to my childhood lately. I have some great memories. Most of them include my sisters and brothers playing in our foyer...it wasn't like most foyers in houses today. In fact I'm sure it was probably supposed to be some type of living room or family room. It was really fun playing records...yes you read that correctly. We had a record player. Not a CD player...eventually we had a record player and Cassette with also an 8-track player. Man...I'm so old. LOL!!! Anyway...one of the things I would do is play music and pretend to be singing in front of lots of people. I never picture millions. My dreams were just to sing without people knowing that I did. I was sorta backward when it came to singing.

I didn't sing my first solo in church until I was a senior in high school. The first song I sang was "'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus." It was the Amy Grant version of the song. I remember I was trusting in Jesus during that whole song, because I was SO nervous. I still get nervous when singing in front of people, but it's a different type of nervous.

One of my favorite artists back then was Amy Grant. She was new to Christian music and I was there at the beginning. Her first record titled "Amy Grant" is a special one to me, because we actually had the very first one with the screened print photo of her. It wasn't the greatest cover for a record, but for her first record having that one was very special.

I remember getting her second one "Father's Eyes" for my birthday. We were visiting my sister Becky and had gone to the Christian bookstore. It was on sale there, and my parents bought it for my sister Mary and I to share. Funny how it was closer to my birthday yet I had to share the record. LOL!! Anyway...one of the songs on it was entitled "Giggle." It was one of my favorite songs. I remember I used to sing that song and think of how I would put the music to a "video"...videos to music were just beginning a little later, and I would picture a lot of the songs that I listened to into videos in my head.

Thinking back this week to that time, I started singing the song "Giggle"...and was surprised at how much of it I remembered. I was also reminded in these simple words of a young girl that there will be situations that I must go through and God's love will help me along the way.

Here are the lyrics to "Giggle"...I hope you enjoy them too...

Giggle.
Giggle if you want to.
But I know it's still true.
That He's always gonna love me.
So just laugh out...
If you think I'm uncool,
Playin' the part of the fool,

'Cause I love Him!
Don't you know how I love Him?
Oh, well, I do!

When I see somebody cryin',
Some person who's real mean.
I want to quickly walk right by him,
But I'll stop for You.
Dear Lord, but
Must I hug him real tight now?
He smells so bad, I'll faint.
What will my friends think if I kill my pride, I can't.

Well, giggle.
Giggle if you want to.
But I know it's still true.
That He's always gonna love me.
So just laugh out...
If you think I'm uncool,
Playin' the part of the fool,

'Cause I love Him!
Don't you know how I love Him?
Oh, well, I do!

When I'm in a sticky situation,
Sitting in a class at school,
Everyone is talking evolution,
No one talks of You.
My hand goes up,
I don't want to be too pushy.
My arm, it feels like lead,
But there's such a joy they're missing saying, "God is dead."

So giggle.
Giggle if you want to.
But I know it's still true.
That He's always gonna love me.
So just laugh out...
If you think I'm uncool,
Always playin' the part of the fool,

'Cause I love Him!
Don't you know how I love Him?
Oh, well, I do!

*"Giggle" from the recording "My Father's Eyes" by Amy Grant.

1 comment:

marnmic said...

oh yea...I remember this song and that album...back in the day. :-)