Monday, December 15, 2008

When the Dream Never Dies

So the message I heard on Saturday night had got my mind onto this song from the "Child of the Promise" CD. Stormie Omartian did an amazing job at capturing Elizabeth's desire for a child.

Ryan spoke on Saturday night at the dinner about the "Fear Not" to Zacharias, which he said was a fear not of unanswered prayer. I know that Zacharias and Elizabeth both had this desire for a child and they had prayed for this to happen for several years....but I never really thought of this as an "unanswered prayer." I know a lot of times you have to be able to apply scripture to your own life so you can see something new.

Ryan had asked..."are you praying for something, and not seeing an answer?" Wow! That hit home. He also said, "remember, 'fear not'."

The song "When the Dream Never Dies" has some incredibly convicting words. I remember when I first heard this song...I was praying for the same thing I am still praying for. Have I see it answered yet?

Here are the words...

Deep in my heart was an ember of longing
Kept warmed by the flame of desire
The dream held in secret
I yearned to hold openly
Fanned by my hope into fire
It burned to such heat
I could touch it no more
So I put it away and then closed up the door
Forever extinguishing all that would keep it alive
But the dream never died
The Lord has done this for me
He has looked on me kindly
He has heard all my cries
He's given me back what I've laid at His feet
It must be God...when the dream never dies
Isn't it just like the Lord to invite me
To put all my dreams in His hands
Forever releasing the grip that once held them
Forever surrendering my plans
And then when He's certain it's not born of man
He calls for the fire to rekindle again
And he asks me to know in my heart
What's not seen with my eyes
So the dream never dies
The Lord has done this for me
He has looked on me kindly
He has heard all my cries
He's given me back what I've laid at His feet
It must be God...when the dream never dies
It must be God...when the dream never dies

My favorite verse is the second...the line that speaks "And when He's certain it's not born of man...He calls for the fire to rekindle again." God wants to show Himself real to each of us. I know there have been many plans I have handed to God and He's just shook His head, probably thinking..."DeeJay...come on now...my way is much better." You see...I'm only seeing one small part. God sees the BIG picture. He sees where He's taking me on this journey of life. Yes, there have been a lot of things I've prayed for and I've seen come to pass, but I do have a dream ... that has had to die. God may choose to rekindle that flame and allow for it to live in my life, or He may see fit keep it hidden.

What my part needs to be is to live a life of "fearing not." Knowing God is in control of EVERY situation of my life. Is this an easy lesson? No. Is this a lesson I've learned? Nope. I'm still learning that surrender to God is a moment by moment basis. I love Paul's example of dying to self daily. I'm not the only one who has to learn how to die to my desires...even Paul (the greatest Christian...some would say) had to learn that lesson daily.

God has given us His word filled with examples ... some good and some bad (so we can hopefully learn by their mistakes, and realize we are not the only ones who have had a rough time.) God loves us. He loves us so much that He sent His only Son, Jesus. To be born of a virgin...Mary. In Matthew 1:16, it says, "And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ." We discussed this verse in class because we were talking about how Deuteronomy was written as a Contract (the world used). One of the students brought up how the New Testament was written in a popular Greek language that was used during that time. Our professor brought out this verse in Matthew 1:16...how in the previous verses, the words for "begat" was different that the term used for "of whom was born Jesus." In our English language it's not really clear that it is a femine term. In the Greek it is clear that Jesus comes from Mary...not from Joseph. I love how God shows these things in Scripture...we have the Truth. Are we sharing it with others? I know I have fallen short in the past, but that's in the past...it's now time to begin a new year with a new goal. Sharing the Truth with others.

I have a favorite line from the movie "Facing the Giants." Coach Grant Taylor is talking with his team and says, "I want God to bless this team so much people will talk about what He did. But it means we gotta give Him our best in every area. And if we win, we praise Him. And if we lose, we praise Him. Either way we honor Him with our actions and our attitudes. So I'm askin' you... What are you living for? I resolve to give God everything I've got, then I'll leave the results up to Him. I want to know if you'll join me."

My favorite part of that line is "Either way we honor Him with our actions and our attitudes. So I'm askin' you...what are you living for?" That's a very pointed question. I pray the rest of 2008 will be a time of reflection for not only myself...but those who read this blog.

May God bless you...

------
*When the Dreams Never Dies" from the CD "The Child of the Promise" by Stormie & Michael Omartian, released 2000.

No comments: