Friday, January 09, 2009

Lord, how is it between us?

This is a great question to ask yourself. Our relationship with Jesus is a personal one. It's the most important relationship we have. It's one that needs to be checked...possibly throughout the day - depending on your situation.

Sara Groves wrote a song several years ago, about this subject. The beginning of the song states, "Woke up on the wrong side of the bed, the wrong side of the room, the wrong side of the world. I can't put my finger on the mood, it's not melancholy, anger or the blues." I know there have been a few times that I have had to ask this question, because of some type of difficult mood. When I finally set down and asked that question...I realized it was me that had moved, gotten busy, didn't keep the communication line opened. It's not that God moved or had gotten busy with someone else's situation, He was waiting to hear from me. Waiting for me to talk to Him about my day...even if it was just to thank Him for the breath that He's given me to breathe.

This year of 2009...I want to be sure to keep this relationship with Jesus one with great communication lines. Never having to worry about sins that have been left unconfessed, or a busy day from me reading His word. Even if it's just a verse or two to reflect and meditate upon is better than not opening my Bible to hear Him speak. God's Word is special...This Word has been passed down from the Author to us in 2009. Does it sit on the shelf from Sunday to Wednesday to Sunday again...or is it opened and read waiting to give us fresh bread. God wants us to keep things line opened.

One of my favorite verses is in I Thess. 5:17, "Pray without ceasing." This verse is a command. Pray...without ceasing. Prayer is our communication with God. Basically it's talking with God as you would a friend with skin. Without ceasing is all the time. I love this idea because even when I'm having a busy day, talking to God is not a problem. Talking to God is something that can be done in thoughts (which is a lot of the way I pray during my work hours). I sometimes get emails or text messages asking for prayer, and I'm able to breathe a short sentence for that request. God will sometimes allow objects, people, or words to remind us to pray for people.

Praying and reading God's Word helps to keep that relationship in check. Some people do it as a way to put a check mark on some sort of checklist, but Jesus wants to hear from us, and He wants to speak to us ... by way of His Word. When we stop talking to him (pray) and stop reading His Word, we end up quenching that relationship. This is a living, real, relationship. How is between you and the Lord? Only you and God can judge where your relationship is. We may be able to fool those around us by putting on a mask, but God knows our heart. That's where His concern is.

So let me ask you..."How is it between you and God?" Take a look at that relationship...may God become real to you in 2009.

No comments: