Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The thought...Wait...

This past Sunday during Sunday school class, Mary made a statement that has really got me thinking about my lack of faith. Her statement was "I trust God completely with my soul...that when He saved me, I am going to Heaven...why can't I trust Him with the other things...the little things in my life." As soon as she spoke with both Kat and I got the conviction look on our faces and made smart comments, but now that I have thought about it the past few days...I have seen my lack of faith.

On the way to class I thought about Abraham. God promised Abraham a seed between him and Sarah. Abraham was 75 at the time of this promise. Now...Abraham tries to "help" God with this seed by going to Hagar and having Ishmael. 25 years later after the promise of the "seed," Abraham is welcoming Isaac "The Promised One." 25 years. How long is it that we need to wait on God for the answers we have...or for promises we believe? How long is it that we need to wait on God to work His plan? Is there a time we need to "step" in and "help" God? The answer I have found in Scripture comes from Psalm 27:14 "Wait on the LORD, be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD." The context of this Scripture is not about our life decisions, but I think an application about our life decisions can be made from it. Just because I'm waiting does not mean I'm not doing anything. I need to be looking for His appearing and speaking the gospel to people I come into contact. Is it hard waiting on God? Simply answer is yes, but think of the benefits of waiting for His perfect plan, as opposed to his permissive plan.

Steven Curtis Chapman recorded a song entitled "Wait" from the CD "Real Life Conversations". This song's chorus is simply put, "Wait...wait...wait on the Lord, you will understand in time why you must wait. The bridge of the song uses the word in Isaiah 40:31 "And He wants you to know that, They that wait on the Lord, Shall renew their strength; They will rise up with wings as eagles, They will run, not get weary. They will walk and not faint; That’s a promise to us when we (wait)." I love this thought...but it's not always the easiest to live.

Until next time...

No comments: