Tuesday, March 31, 2009

American Idol - most popular downloaded songs from itunes...

The top 9...We are getting into the part of the competition that is scary for me...mainly because there are some people I'd really like to see leave at this point, but am afraid a favorite may get eliminated.

I really enjoy watching this show with my friends, but I usually watch it with my parents when the performance show is on Tuesday. It's my night to hang at the house and spend some time with the 'rents. One of my favorite things about watching with my parents is the fact my dad has some really funny commentary. I tried tonight to make notes of his commentary as well...to give you a taste of what it's like to watch Idol with him. LOL!!!

Here's my opinion of tonight's performances:

Anoop Dog - "Caught Up" by Usher
He really didn't wow me like he did last week and even the week before...I didn't feel his performance was up to standards he has set in the past weeks. I agree with Paula when she said his stage performance wasn't where it usually is. I also agree with Simon when he said it was an "utter mess." Simon can be brutally honest sometimes...and it works for him to be that way. (He's the 'House' of the music business)

Megan - "Turn the Lights Down Low" - Bob Marley
I know in the past my opinion of Megan has been stated that I just haven't liked her...well it hasn't changed. I really think she should have been the one to go last week. She just hasn't brought anything to show me she is the next American Idol. Her voice has a uniqueness quality, but she hasn't popped to me yet.

At the end of her performance tonight my dad said, "I didn't like her at all." I really agree with him tonight.

Danny - "What Hurts the Most" - Rascal Flatts
Great Voice!!! He makes me melt every time I hear him. I love his voice and he really sang this song. It wasn't a bad choice at all. Loved Simon tonight for telling him it was a great performance. Yeah Simon!!!

At the end of the performance my dad chimed in "He does it better than Rascal Flatts."...and I agree. I thought it was a solid performance.

Allison - "Don't Speak" - No Doubt
When my dad heard her song choice, he said, "Oh, don't do that song." He doesn't even know the group No Doubt, so I don't know why he said that. The judges seemed to think she was trying to hard. I can understand what they were saying. I think the song choice may have been a down fall for her. I like the song and I think she did rock edge...I think her outfit may have distracted from her performance.

Side note - Normally I have a problem with them criticizing outfits, because it is a singing competition...but this year, I think I've tried to look at the total package. Sometimes outfits or chorography and distract for a performance. I have noticed that with Anoop and Megan. When Anoop sang Bobby Brown and Michael Jackson, his stage presence distracted from doing well on the vocals. When Megan stands there and sings in a microphone on a stand and shakes her tail, it distracts me from listening to her vocals. If I close my eyes when she sings, I can get a better opinion of her voice. But the package should help the performance not distract from it.

Scott - "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel
Wow...this guy is very talented. I really think he's an incredibly talented musician. He has a very smooth vocal...doesn't have a flavor to it like Danny or Matt G, but it's smooth. He did excellent tonight.

Matt G. - "You Found Me" - The Fray
Oh my Matt...I think he may be in trouble tonight. He did sing the song well, but he didn't show Matt in the performance. I know last week he was in the bottom three, but it wasn't because I didn't vote...I voted for this guy about as many times as I voted for Danny. I love Matt G. I will vote a lot tonight...just based on past performances...I'm not usually a fan of it, but I agree with Kara...he shouldn't go home yet. He can sing...and he can sing well...he just didn't pick the right song tonight.

Last week's performance, I downloaded from itunes...I still can't believe the voters didn't vote enough to keep him out of the bottom two. I've got to make some extra calls tonight.

Lil Rounds - "I Surrender" - Celine Dion
Lil has a great voice. She can sing well, but lately I think her choices haven't showed her personality. I can't say that I would vote her for based on this performance. It just didn't hit me as a good performance.

A. Lambert - "Play that Funky Music" - Wild Cherry
A.Lambert has done it again. I liked the performance from the end of the first verse to the end. I didn't really like the beginning. I did like his flavor from that point on though. I do, however, want his old hair back. I don't like the plastic Ken doll hair. I want the A.Lambert hair from the "Black and White" performance.

Kris - "Aint No Sunshine" - Bill Withers
When he began the song, my dad made this comment..."Oh...she takes the sunshine with her." He's hilarious when watching. There was this one note that Kris did that really made me take notice of him. Towards the end of the song there was a note that he slid to hit...I love that...it is very difficult to slide a note...and he did it really well. I thought he did good, but I'm still not a fan of him yet.

As far as the bottom three...I think Anoop, Megan, and it's either Matt G. or Lil. I'm hoping Lil, because I'm pulling for my Matt G.

Until tomorrow night...

No comments: