Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Coming together...


Well it's almost time. VBS will begin on this Sunday, July 5th. Since it's the holiday weekend. I'll be working at the church on Friday since I have the day off. I'll also be picking up the stuff from Sam's and Walmart that day. I think it's going to work out for me to take the entire day off on Saturday...YEAH!!!
The theme for this year's VBS is "Polar Extreme: All of me, All-out for God." The theme verse for the week is from Mark 12:30-31 "And You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength...and love your neighbor as yourself." I have been really excited about getting the music together for this VBS. Usually I try to use the CD that comes with the kit, but this year the music has been really geared for a younger age group of children...even the theme song wasn't something we wanted to use.
Our theme song is a song that Pastor's older kids learned at a Bible Camp. It was neat that we were able to try the guitar chords and that Kat is able to play them the week. I wish I would have been able to get a hold of another friend to have done a track for us, but it just didn't work out. Maybe another time...
For the 1st & 2nd grade class, I have actually chosen one of the songs from the CD. I'm going to use it anyway...even though I'm not too fond with the music. But I really think it's going to work out anyway.
For the 3rd & 4th grade class, I have a song called "How Awesome is the Lord." It's a really cute song from a Praise CD I bought.
For the 5th & 6th grade class, I'm using a song called "More Love, More Power." It's a song the choir sings with another song, but it is a shorter version of it.
For the 7th & 8th grade group, I'm excited to use "Love the Lord Your God" by Lincoln Brewster. I wanted something that would be easy, but fun for them. I think this is more age appropriate for them.
I will also get to work with the memory work with each class. Actually each area will emphasize the verse, but I think if we can use about 5 or 10 minutes on learning the verse it will be good for them to practice.
I need to get all the music ready and on transparencies and them the track numbers ready for the sound engineer. It's great having someone responsible for the playing of the songs.
Well...I hope to update throughout the week like I did last year. It was something I looked forward to doing each night as a wind-down.
Until next time...

No comments: