Saturday, September 04, 2010

Settling for less than God's best???

I'm starting to read a book with the title of this blog.  It's written by Elsa Kok.  It's been a good reminder of what I should be looking for...not just in a mate, but with my life period.  One of the subtitles is titled "The Truth About Desire."  There is a desire within us that is based on two truths (Brent Curtis & John Eldredge from The Sacred Romance) --the hero really has a heart of gold and the beloved really possesses hidden beauty.

Elsa writes "I had it all wrong.  My longing for a man...was wrapped and twisted and intertwined with the longing God creates in each one of us - the longing for Him.  God is the true knight, the one and only, the lover of our hearts and souls."

Scripture to back this up can be found from the following verses...

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.  For I am conviced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.  -- Romans 8:37-39
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. -- Hebrews 13:5
How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called the children of God! -- I John 3:1
And my favorite passage ... one that is special to my heart (because it's from I:43 scripture of where we got our name)...
When you pass through the water, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.  When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.  For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. -- Isaiah 43:2-3
God's desire is to be with me...my desire should be the same.  In fact, He created for me to desire Him.  It's good to know that He wants me :)

No comments: