Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 17 - A Picture of something that has impacted your life recently

Zumba - Even though Zumba is a movement that has been around for awhile, but a lot of people still don't know what this is.

Zumba is the name of a dance fitness program, created by dancer and choreographer Alberto (Beto) Perez in Columbia during the 1990's.   The program combines Latin and International music with dance in n effort to make exercise fun...and fun it is!!!

I was introduced to Zumba a few years ago, but only went to one class and just about died. I didn't feel that the class was fun, just showed me how uncoordinated and out of shape I was.

The second time I took a Zumba class I was at a moment in my life where I wanted to get into shape and make a difference. My sister Mary met a Zumba instructor and wanted to take her class in South Point.  I work about 5 minutes from where she teaches the class, so I waiting around after work and met my sister with another mutual friend who took Zumba at another place.  This time around it was different.  The music was not just Latin, but also brought some hip hop and remix stuff that was fun to workout too.  The class is to most Latin, but a portion can be the fun more up-to-date music, but I prefer the more up-to-date music :)

After that class, I was a new Zumba addict-to-be.  Lisa, the instructor, told my friend and I about a class that was beginning at a local Firehouse about 3 miles from my house.  My friend was up for going and wanted to have someone to keep her accountable.  I invited a few other freinds of mine and the addition was fed.  I not love Zumba...almost as much as I love Bob (Harper)!  I have never heard Bob talk about Zumba, but I know he would approve...because I'm up and moving.  I actually enjoy working out now.  I used to say I wouldn't workout in the evening because it made less time in the evenings...and yes it does, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.  I'm thankful for the fact that I have the opportunity to take this class.  I'm thankful for my new Zumba teacher Ashley...as well as my personal trainer Lisa (who was my first Zumba instructor ... that helped me to love the workout).  It's been a big help to the new journey I've been on...

No comments: