Sunday, January 01, 2012

Whether we prosper or not...

*Note all scripture taken from New Living Translation
We have a responsibility to...

1. Endure - II Timothy 2:3-4 "Endure suffering along with me, as a good solider of Christ Jesus. And as Christ's soldier, do not let yourself become tied up in the affairs of this life, for then you cannot satisfy the one who has enlisted you in his army."

As we live this life as Christians we are to endure through trials, hardships, pain, commitments, etc.  God has called us in this life as soldiers and when we quit early we aren't able to bring glory to Him.

2. Fight - I Timothy 1:18 "Timothy, my son, here are my instructions for you, based on the prophetic words spoken about you earlier.  May they give you the confidence to fight well in the Lord's battles."
Ephesians 6:12 "For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world, and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms."

Some Christians are fighters, which mean they have scars and they are wounded...these are the fighters in the faith.  Those who have lived the responsibility to walk the faith...live the faith.  One thing that helps those fighting is fellowshipping with our brothers and sisters in Christ.  God has called us to assemble in His house...are you there?  Are you isolating yourself?  It's okay to show your scars...to let people see that you are wounded.  I know that believers are not always the best to those who are wounded, but we need to step up and care for our wounded.  Help them along the way.

3. Stand - I Corinthians 16:13 "Be on guard.  Stand trust to what you believe. Be courageous.  Be strong."  We have a responsibility to stand whether we prosper in our life or not.  Stand up for what you believe in.  I love the song from the Veggie Tales "Stand" because it's a simple message, but a vital part of living my Christian life.  The chorus goes "I remember stand (stand up, stand up), for what you believe in, believe in, Believe in God (He's the one to back you up), He'll stand with you!"  We need to finish strong....it's not easy and it's not fun, but it's important.

4. Wait - Isaiah 40:31 "But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength.  They will fly high on wings like eagles.  They will run and not grow weary.  They will walk and not faint." This is a promise to those who wait on Him.

I wrote in my last blog entry about waiting.  I have a feeling that for 2012 my word is "WAIT."  I don't like that word, but this is important when living my life in God's timing.  I need to wait for the right mate, wait for the answer to a decision, wait for the phone to ring sometimes...Waiting is an action word, but it's hard to do.  I mentioned to my pastor that I would rather endure, fight and stand, than to just wait.  It's harder to wait.  Two of my favorite verses have the word wait in them though...Psalm 27:14 "Wait patiently for the LORD.  Be brave and courageous.  Yes, wait patiently for the LORD."  This verse has become very special to me over the years. I used to not like it because it talked of waiting, but as I have matured in my faith, I realize that waiting is how we can succeed in our life.  The other verse is becoming the verse of the moment for me.  Psalm 5:3 "Listen to my voice in the morning, LORD.  Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly."

The thing I'm learning in 2012...is to wait expectantly.  Knowing that God will show up and that He will come through for me.  I just have to wait for Him...expectantly.

I'm thankful that New Years' Day began with this message to help me put my thoughts in order.

1 comment:

MOM said...

DeeJay no one really likes to wait and learning to do so is an accomplishment few people achieve. Praying for you and your future. Love MOM