Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Think on these things...Phil 4:8

Okay...I was in Bible study tonight thinking about a conversation that was had earlier in the day.  God lead me to a verse ... one of my favorites - Phil. 4:8.
"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things." (NASB)
Life Application Bible has this application in the notes:
"What we put into our minds determines what comes out in our words and actions.  Paul tells us to program our minds with thoughts that are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, of good repute, excellent and praise worthy.  Do you have problems with impure thoughts day daydreams? Examine what you are putting into your mind, through television, books, conversations, movies, and magazines.  Replace harmful input with wholesome material.  Above all read God's word and pray.  Ask God to help you focus your mind on what is good and pure.  It takes practice, but it can be done.
Now...living a life of purity is not the easiest way to live, but I'm thankful for this verse.  Basically this is what I'm to think upon...so if this is the stuff I'm to allow myself to dwell on...then anyone who doesn't speak words like this, I just need to run away from them.

Later in the application bible, I saw this question - HOW EASY IT IS TO READ THE BIBLE AND NOT THINK ABOUT HOW TO LIVE DIFFERENTLY?

We can read the words from the Bible, even think about it, but if it doesn't change our lifestyle, then what good is it?  Each time we read something we should think about how we can live it out.  It's tough ... it's not an easy thing to do, but to become more like Christ, we need to change our way of living.

The standard is HOLY.  It's high...but that's the standard that God has set.  Our job is to strive.  Do we stumble?  Yes. Do we fall?  Yes.  Does that mean we just live the way we want to?  No!  It means that we need to continue to strive for that holy lifestyle.  How do we do that??? Think of those things.  Dwell of them.  Get them into our minds...replace that crap that life throws at it.

My song of the moment now is "Where I Belong" by Building 429.  The first verse says, "Sometimes it feels like I'm watching from the outside, Sometimes it feels like I'm breathing, but am I alive? I will keep searching for answers, that aren't here to find."  They aren't here in the world...they are in the Word though.  God gave us the Bible and the Holy Spirit.  When the Holy Spirit lets us know things are not right, we are to run toward God.  If we don't things can get hairy...tough...crazy.

I'm thankful for Christian friends who are true Christians...people that I can confide in and ask about situations that come to life.  They guide me with the help of the Holy Spirit to continue on my journey of waiting.  I'm thankful for people like that.





 

No comments: