Monday, February 11, 2013

Anything I put before my God is an idol

Yesterday, I posted a song that was given to me by someone who wanted me to listen to it.  "Clear the Stage" is by Jimmy Needham.  Well, I woke up this morning and that song was on my ipod to wake me up.  I got up and did my daily bible reading and it was from Exodus 32 & 33.  This passage is after Moses has been getting the commandments of the Lord.  He has been gone for some time and the God's people were asking Aaron to do something.  Aaron asked for the people to give him their gold and he crafted an idol for them to worship.  

What is interesting is that yesterday my pastor spoke from Matthew 5:6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be satisfied."  He was explaining that "hunger and thirst" is like a person who is "starved."  Starved for God.  Wanting only Him and seeking Him.  

I love how God will allow different things to bring light to areas of our lives that we need to surrender to Him.  Sometimes He can clean house as Jesus did the Temple, but sometimes He cleans just by bringing things together.  The message, the song, and the bible reading pointed there are some areas that I have allowed for idols to get in the way.   I surrendered these areas to Him and know it's a day to day (sometimes moment to moment) surrender.  I'm thankful that He forgives and continues to pursue us on our daily journey.  


No comments: