Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Wow! Didn't mean to let a whole month go by without a post

I have not been very good about posting.  I apologize for that.  I'm sure it's just laziness, however, I really wanted to write a blog post tonight.  Tonight was our ladies Bible study. I have not been attending lately - another problem with laziness.  But tonight I went.  We began a new study and I really wanted to do this study.  


We began tonight this series "How Do You Walk the Walk You Talk?" This one was put together by Kay Arthur.  I really like Kay's inductive Bible study process.  It is really a good way to get a clear understanding of the passages being studied.  

We began Ephesians 1:1-8 


1 - Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, to the saints who are at Ephesus and who are faithful in Christ Jesus. 
2 - Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
3 - Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with EVERY spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 
4 - just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love
5 - He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,
6 - to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.
7 - In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace
8 - which He lavished on us.
We first read just the first verse and answered the following questions.  

  • Who is writing? Who is he? How did he get to be that way?
  • To whom is he writing?
  • Where are they?
  • What are they called?
  • How are they described?

Then we read through verses 2 - 8 and marked the words "us" or "we."  Next we read through it again and marked phrases "in Him," "in Christ," "in the Beloved."  Lastly we marked the phrase "according to." 

My thoughts from what I learned tonight.  We are blessed by God the Father of Jesus with EVERY spiritual blessing from heaven.  God chose us in Him BEFORE the foundation of the world.  In LOVE he predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Himself - according to "the kind intention of His will."  He does this all "to the praise of the glory of HIS grace...which he FREELY bestowed on us..." We have redemption through HIS blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses...accordingly to the riches of HIS grace.  He lavished all this  on us.  

The word lavished - means expended or produced in abundance...THAT'S A LOT.

We discussed the reason we live the way we live is not for approval of others, but to honor God.  Whether, therefore, we eat or drink or whatsoever we do ... do all to the glory of God.  Carrie made a comment that I really liked.  She said "I don't go to church for anyone's approval but God's.  I get a blessing by being in the presence of those who are with me.  I mentioned "they are the whipped cream on the ice cream sundae."  God has lavished these riches upon us.  

It was such a really nice study that I'm really looking forward to next month's lesson.  

No comments: