Friday, August 29, 2014

Rock Bottom - continuation on perspective

Well...this week has been a lesson on perspective.  The importance that I have found during this week is that God, the Creator of the universe, cares for little me. Why am I important to Him? Because I am His creation.  I am also a believer.  I believe on His Son, Jesus, who came to this earth as a baby, grew up as a young man, lived a sinless life while on earth, to be able to die for the sins of the world.  Why?  Because He Loves Me...and You...and EVERYONE He created.  So some may ask, if God loves us as a creation, then why does He send people to Hell?  Well, the simple answer is that He doesn't send them there...the people choose it.  What?  They choose it? Yes...they choose Hell.  

Before God created earth...Satan was an angel.  His name was Lucifer.  He thought that he deserved praise like God, so he rebelled against God.  God created Hell for Lucifer and the demons who rebelled with him.  God did not create Hell for the creation of people who came from Adam and Eve...it was just for Satan and his crew of demons.  

So, when Adam and Eve were finally created on that 6th day of Creation, and God saw that everything he made was VERY GOOD.  He was satisfied.  It was perfection. However, Satan is in the picture as a rebel of God, and he knows the word of God...possibly better than the "most intellectual man who has ever lived."  That's how he tricked Eve into eating of the fruit in the Garden of Eden.  So once sin entered into the world, there was punishment for that sin.  Death.  But God...I love those words. "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8 (NASB)  God had a plan...the plan did not change when Eve ate of the fruit.  Eve had free will.  God did not create her as a robot of His, but a person who could praise Him (because she wanted to praise Him)...out of choice.  

Since sin entered into the world at the fall of man...God's plan was to send Jesus to redeem us...to pay the price in full.  Death is the price.  So Jesus died to pay the price.  "For the wages of sin is death..." Romans 3:23 "...but the gift of God is eternal life." The wage is death.  The gift is eternal life.  So how do we get the gift from God.  Believing Jesus' work in the cross.  Romans 10:9-10 "That if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation."  

Notice that the gift of God doesn't have any work for me to do to get it.  It's not about being a "good person."  It's confession in my mouth, and believing in my heart. Nothing more.  Why is there nothing more for me to do?  Because it's a gift...you don't work for gifts.  Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast."  There is nothing that I can do to make God love me more than He already does.  There is nothing that I can do to make God love me less than He does.  Why? Because God loved me first...in my sin. He loved me.  He loved me enough to give His one and only Son, Jesus to be that sacrifice to pay it all!.  Jesus paid it all!

This morning, I heard a song on WalkFM by Kristian Stanfill with the Passion Team.  it was called "My Heart is Yours"

I give You my life
I give You my trust
Jesus
You are my God
You are enough
Jesus

My heart is Yours
My heart is Yours
Take it all
Take it all
My life in Your hands
I lay down my life 
and take up my cross
Jesus 
For You are my God
Whatever the cost
Jesus 
For You, Jesus

All to Jesus I surrender
All to You I freely give
I will ever love and trust You
In Your presence I will live

So that song brought my perspective to remembering the moment that I believed in Jesus as my Savior.  I was 13 years old.  I was raised in a pastor's home...and had heard the gospel message so many times, I could quote it to others.  What was the difference after that cold December night than the other times before...I had a head knowledge that Jesus had died on the cross.  I knew I was a sinner (trust me...I knew I wasn't perfect).  But knowing the information isn't enough...there has to be faith...believing (an action).  TI like the simple example of faith that my daddy used in Vacation Bible School one year. He took a regular folding chair. Sat it in the middle of the stage.  He said, "I know this chair can hold me if I sit in it." Head knowledge.  "I believe this chair can hold me" Still head knowledge.  It wasn't until he took the action of actually sitting in the chair and experiencing that it held him that he demonstrated faith.  he part of the song that comes from the hymn "I Surrender All" reminds me that daily, I have to surrender all to Jesus. Perspective.  I surrender the struggles I'm facing.  I surrender the doubts, thoughts, etc to Him...moment by moment.  When the stress begins to take over...I surrender. Perspective.  Get my focus back on Him. 

The quote in the picture was posted on Dr. Tony Evans Facebook.  "Sometimes God lets you hit rock bottom so you will discover that He is the Rock at the bottom." This statement has "Trust God" and "God's Got This!" all over it.  When we are feeling that we are hitting rock bottom...our perspective can be good because we know that God is our foundation. He is the solid Rock! 

No comments: