Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Don't let Satan distract my focus

I have been learning about keeping my focus on God, where it is supposed to be anyway.  I learned a new lesson about this in my life this week.  The last couple of weeks God had brought to my attention that the reason I was having bad days at work, was because I wasn't focused on God and focused on my circumstances.  I have to say, this lesson is way bigger than my work life...it has become a lesson in my single life as well.

Being a single person, is something I am used to being.  I have never experience life as a married person, so singleness is all I know.  

This week, I was able to listen to a message from Dr. Tony Evans about "Fasting for Mates."  I know his message focus was on fasting, but something that he said during his message really hit me and got me to study for and have some conversations with God about it.

In Genesis 2:9, it talks about the trees in the Garden of Eden, "Out of the ground the LORD God caused to grow every tree that is pleasing to the sight and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil." Later in chapter 2, verses 16 & 17 state, "The LORD God commanded the man, saying, "From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; but from the tree of knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die."

Now, something that was mentioned in the sermon I was listening to was..."don't let Satan tempt you with the one tree in the garden that as a single person you shouldn't partake in, focus on the other trees that God has allowed to be experienced." Basically when people ask me about my singleness they focus on the fact that I'm a virgin and they will ask how I'm able to hold my stand in temptations.  I'm thankful that God has helped me to focus on the other trees in the garden instead of the fact that I don't have sex.  But as I was talking with God, I even got to the fact that in my life singleness is one tree in my life.  I have many other trees that I can put my focus toward.  I'm thankful for the fact that God has helped me to realize this fact.  I'm able to focus on the other trees in my life instead of focusing the singleness tree.

How many times in our life is God using those other areas in our live to bring us closer to Him, but we are so focused on the one tree that Satan is using to distract us?  I know in my life, I have allowed those distractions, but getting a reminder of this lesson has been a learning experience.  


No comments: