Monday, February 16, 2015

Who is your "other side"?

Last month, Jim Jeremias spoke at my church on "Who is your "other side"?  In Luke 8:22-40, Jesus is with his disciples.  He says to them "Let us go over unto the other side of the lake."  They all are in the boat, and Jesus falls asleep.  A storm comes while they are on the lake and the disciples wake up Jesus, and he rebuked the wind and the raging water, and asks them "Where is your faith?"  The disciples talked among themselves wondering who Jesus was, because even the wind and water obey His voice. 

They get to the other side, and they meet the man who Jesus knew would be there.  He was possessed with devils.  Jesus asks "What is thy name?" The devil respond "Legion" because many devils were entered into him.  Jesus commands the devils to go to the swine.  

As this passage began, Jesus knew there was a man on the other side of the lake.  So Jesus tells His disciples they need to go.  

All believers have an "other side."  Jesus has a purpose for that ministry on the other side.  Who is your "other side"?  Do you want to go to your other side to witness about Jesus' love?

One of my favorite movies is "Facing the Giants."  This movie is my favorite because of the message of praising God for whatever He brings and allows in our life.  If it's pain then we praise Him, because He is our strength.  

I was reminded of this movie last night during a message that Tim Ferguson (the adult Sunday school teacher at my church) was preaching.  He quoted Ephesians 5:19-20 
19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

He spoke of his father-in-law Brad Quackenbush (who was a professor of mine in college) shared with him about this passage when he was diagnosed with cancer.  He said, "giving thanks for all things...even cancer...)"  This reminds me of Coach Grant Taylor's speech to the team. "I want God to bless this team so much people will talk about what He did. But it means we gotta give Him our best in every area.  And if we win, we praise Him and if we lose, we praise Him. Either way we honor Him with our actions and attitudes.  So I'm asking you...what are you living for?  I resolved to give God everything I've got, then I'll leave the results up to Him.  I want to know if you'll join me."

So...I say all of this to tell you about an opportunity that I'm going to do to honor God.  There is a show on NBC called "The Voice."  I know this is a show mostly for pop, rock, country, etc, but I'm going to audition for this show and my attitude is to bring glory to God.  

The same night that I heard the sermon by Jim Jeremias, I also had written in my journal a letter to the Lord...It was entitled Comfort Zone.  
Lord, I believe that You have given me my voice to bring glory to Your name.  I believe if any further progression from the open call is to bring glory to You.  Lord You have used many women in the Bible to shine for You. My name sake, Deborah, sang praises to You in the era of the judges.  Ruth left her family's nation and heritage to follow You and was able to be apart of the lineage of Jesus.  Esther was able to be used as a helper to Your people...to protect them. You used Abigail to go before her husband and intercede with David.  Of course, Mary was used to carry Jesus, who is our Savior and Redeemer.  Lord, I don't know if you are going to bless me with a call back, or even to the blind auditions with the judges, but I ask that You help me to be able to show You in my audition...Amen!
So...This Saturday, February 21st, at 2:00 pm, I will be in Chicago, IL to the open call audition for The Voice.  Let the adventure begin...
 
 
 




No comments: